Near the bridge over Tagus River

The Ponte 25 de Abril (with the official designation of the Tagus Bridge) is a road-rail suspension bridge that connects the city of Lisbon to the city of Almada, Portugal. The bridge crosses the Tagus river estuary at the end and narrower - the so-called bottleneck of the Tagus. In 1958, the Portuguese government officially decided to build a bridge. The following year he opened an international tender, to be submitted for the construction. Following the submission of four proposals, which happened in 1960, the project was awarded to the American company United States Steel Export Company, which already in 1935, had submitted a project for its construction. The November 5, 1962 started the construction work. Less than four years after the onset of these, ie, past 45 months, the bridge over the Tagus opened (six months ahead of schedule), a ceremony which took place on August 6, 1966, on the side of Almada, in the presence Portuguese legend of the highest, among which stood the President, Almirante Américo de Deus Rodrigues Tomás, the President of the Council of Ministers, António de Oliveira Salazar and Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon, D. Manuel Gonçalves Cerejeira, going to be called Ponte Salazar (although its legal name would remain as Ponte sobre o Tejo), in honor of President of Council.